Tuesday 13 May 2014

Day 229 - Blog Revamp!

An explanation for my absence:

My last post was on March 6th, not exactly a great day for me or my knee.  I aggravated an old injury which had been behaving very well since an operation 10 years ago, thankful it was so long, but still upsetting and painful.  I just pushed myself too far and, after a busy week of cycling, classes, college and working on things for the blog; my knee gave way.

Two months of (mostly) resting later; getting back to walking, cycling and dancing has been a slow road.  The first couple of weeks held small victories like being about to walk up and then downstairs!  I've been back at college, ballet and teaching (more on that later) for a few weeks now so it's time to crack on with this!

WARNING! WARNING! BLOG REVAMP IN PROCESS!

Okay so after this little slap in the face from reality I have decided this 365 project needs to be more about what I'm doing in my dance life and less about forcing creativity each day.  As a very good friend has been trying to tell me for a while, it's not just about the video's. I'm paraphrasing but she's right.  I do so much in preparation for this project that doesn't really get seen; hence the re-vamp.

This will be a good thing for me and my sanity.  Limiting my personal definition of the word choreography, and my relationship with it, is stifling my creativity (the opposite of what this project was supposed to do).  This is most apparent in the ritual I began to find myself performing everyday for the blog.

Find space,
what to wear,
find music,
place camera,
check placement,
press record,
press play,
dance,
stop,
watch,
record,
dance,
play,
dance,
play,
dance,
stop,
watch,
repeat til kinda satisfied,
pack up,
import,
attach audio track,
trim ends,
fade in/out,
play with visuals,
export, upload, blog and share!

An absolutely terrible way to create.  Or is that just me?  There was definitely a lot more energy going to the creating but I was beginning to feel trapped by the process. A trap of my own doing.

Moving forward with a bit of background.

I normally have a pretty crazily scheduled life but this year it has become pretty bonkers.  Earlier this year I was traveling back home (6 hours each way) most weekends to teach children's ballet classes on Saturday mornings, helping out a friend until a more long term solution could be arranged.  I did this for a couple of months (both before and after the recent injury) and it was a fantastic experience for the teaching course I am also doing at the moment.

Current Timetable:

Through my college I am now teaching two ballet classes in Bristol, again temporary but good experience.  One is an adults beginner class (Fridays) and the other is ISTD Primary (Wednesdays).  The course I mentioned is ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance) Diploma in Dance Instruction, hereafter referred to as 'college'. I do one day a week (Thursdays) plus other classes (usually Ballet on Tuesdays) and going in to do observations etc. (more about these soon).  On top of this I also work part time (Mondays, Thursdays, Sundays) and try to fit in time for study, a social life and this blog!  I said it was crazy.

Onwards!

SO this revamp thing. It will involve all aspects of my life relating to dance.  I'm going to live my life, day by day and being to piece together a picture that somehow resembles my love affair with dance.  And it is a love affair. With all the hurdles that perusing this passion has thrown in my path it must be love for me to keep coming back and not be able to function properly without. Either that or obsession!

Right that's it, enough soul sharing, something creative.

On Wednesday 5th March I went for a lovely walk with some friends and we found a rather large log.  Nice place for a rest and a photo shoot?  OK I couldn't resist having a balance on it, here are the best pics :)






No comments:

Post a Comment