Friday 16 May 2014

Day 232 - Dancers Brains

Although normally on a Friday I would be teaching Adult Ballet, it was cancelled today due to the Dress Rehearsal for this weekends show being held in that studio tonight.

As a result I had lots of time to spend getting the house ready for and then entertaining my guest.  An dancing friend from my childhood dance school is staying with me as he has an audition in Bristol tomorrow.  We have have been discussing some interesting things about the way dancers brains work and how this affects us in the real world, that and reminiscing!

During dance classes as children we were encouraged to think several steps ahead when learning exercises or choreography to improve memory and the flow from one movement into the next.  This eventually became second nature and a very useful skill and maybe something that those who didn't have this kind of intense vocational training as children would really truly understand.

Having talked about this at length today we both agreed that this has had an impacted on how we go through everyday life.  The ability to consider the next ten or so things that need to be done can be both an asset and a hindrance. The often subconscious internal mantra which usually goes: I need to do this, followed by this, followed by that, which means this has to be next etc etc etc can be a very useful tool when life is busy and fast paced and needs that extra push to get you through all the many and varied tasks ahead.  However, when trying to relax and de-stress after all that running around, turning the internal mantra off is not easy.

Ok so I'm not a psychologist or cognitive scientist and this may just be an oversimplification of how our brains work and are developed but it's an interesting idea that I am keen on pursuing.  If any one knows where to start I'd be open to suggestions.  I have seen articles about how dancers brains can be a tool in helping to understand the way memories form and further discussions about how this can assist in helping people with memory forming and recognition.  Definitely some further research needed if I can find the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment