Tuesday 20 May 2014

Day 235 - Feet DTM and Stretching

The need to take good ecare of my feet has been known to me for quite some time and I have been doing this deep tissue massage and stretching exercise on and off.  Since it was shown to us at Dartington I have been developing a set routine of movements, influenced by my Indian Head Massage work, that address the needs of my feet.  However, I really need to be doing this on a more regular basis, particularly after a classes. 


The routine starts with warming the feet up with gentle and then more vigorous rubbing.  Making sure that the toes, heels and ankles get as much attention as the arch and instep.  

Next I start to press a bit harder, still using big sweeping motions, following the lines of the tendons and then crossing them.  These movements can be achieved with the thumbs and fingers and pinching techniques.  

Once the feet are warm and pliable I begin to use more focused kneading under the arch from heel to toes and then around the toe joints. 

Next I take each toe in turn performing small circles over the toe to the nail and the gently pull the toe away from the foot without yanking.  Take all the toes together and ease away from the foot again. 

Keeping that hand on the toes and using the other to grasp the ankle I stretch the instep and then flex the foot to stretch the arch again.


While doing this I and focused on how my feet are responding to each motion. As there are so many bones and tendons within the foot it is crucial that care is taken when doing that may cause harm to them.



Another thing added to my theoretical daily schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment